Several weeks ago I was asked to speak at a Mother's Day program about what I have learned as a mother. Circumstances did not allow the program to take place, so I was not able to share my thoughts. However, the thoughts continue to linger in mind, so I will share them with all my blogger friends.
I have learned many things as a mom, but there are five that really stick out in my mind.
1. I learned that if you want people to come visit you, then you need to have a baby (LOL). Several people in Eddie's family came to visit us when Heidi was born. The last time they traveled to Texas was for our wedding. The thought to fly to Texas never crossed their minds until they heard they were getting a grandchild.
2. I learned that God will answer your prayers in the middle of the night. One night when Heidi was just a few weeks old, she started crying intensely for what seemed liked an hour. No matter what we did she would not stop crying. The thought of taking her to the ER crossed our minds. However, I saw Eddie go to the pantry and get out the oil. I knew what he was fixing to do. He poured some oil on his finger, anointed our baby's head with it, and we began to pray. Within a few minutes Heidi stopped crying and was able to sleep peacefully. God heard our midnight cry and he met our need. We later realized that she was having gas pains.
3. I have learned that somethings can wait until tomorrow. We are all familiar with the phrase, "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today." However, when it comes to watching my daughter grow up, there are things that can wait until another day. I will sacrifice cleaning the house until tomorrow if it means that I can watch Heidi take her first step. Children grow up so fast. I believe it is important that we spend as much time with them as we can, so we don't miss their accomplishments.
4. I have learned to depend on other mothers. I often call my sister or my mother to ask them what they do or did in a certain situation. I also find myself asking many of my friends at church who have children for advice. Without the help of other mothers, I would be totally stressed out. So, thank you mothers for your wisdom and advice.
5. I have learned what responsibility really means. Being the age that I am, I have had lots of responsibilities. However, until I had my baby, I didn't realize the load that responsibility carried. Besides my husband, I am the only one responsible for the precious life God has given me. I am the one responsible for making sure she is fed and cleaned. I am the one who is responsible for her attitude and behavior. I am responsible for her education and for teaching her to love God and others. There is no one else in the world responsible for my daughter except for my husband and me. I must care for this beautiful responsibility God has given me.
Our first Mother's Day together.
My Mother's Day gift.
My surprise birthday party.

10 comments:
You have already learned so much about being a Mom in three short months! Heidi is adorable, and I know that you will do a wonderful job raising her, you are blessed to have your Mom and Sheree to look up to as great examples. I will keep you in my prayers, being a Mom is such a blessing but it places such a burden on your heart to do everything "right"--and that's hard work!
Beautiful post, Ashley. I am sure you are a wonderful mother!
Ashley, you're doing an AWESOME job being Heidi's mom! You're so patient, kind, and loving to her, and it's so neat to watch you in action.
This is beautiful and so very true on everything you had to say. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Happy belated Birthday!!! Beautiful post.
Love the pics! Glad you had a good Mother's Day and Birthday!
I love the top picture and the one of you in that birthday hat you couldn't part with. LOL
I'm glad you're a mother... :)
Ashley, this is a beautiful post. I knew you would be a wonderful mother a long time ago. You have such a love and passion for children. I am very proud of the woman and mother you have become, although at times it still is hard to believe you are grown and now have a child of your own. You will always be my "baby".
I love you and miss you terribly.
What a beautiful post! You are and will continue to be a great mother. It is just you!!!
Heidi is so sweet, glad I got to hold her for a few minutes the other day. I love your picture too!
Karen
So I know this is totally a month late but.....My fav part was that you added she was having gas pains....that was an eddie inheritance right there...
Post a Comment